Image- Freedom ride: Aiatsis (2014)
Hi everyone. This blogs Just a little update about today. We are currently traveling to our next stop; Collarenebri. We are all a little light headed and shaken up after today’s experience. We have just visited the town of Walgett, where a racial outbreak occurred. We picketed for hours out of the front of the RSL. Out of all the places we have been so far, Walgett has by far been the most racist. All ex- Servicemen with an aboriginal decent are DENIED entry to the ‘nationhood’ and ‘Manhood’ place of peace, and remembrance; RSL. Aboriginal troops who served for OUR country, despite the racial outlook on us are denied entry into the RSL. I am flaming with disgrace and fury. On ANZAC day the men are sometimes allowed to use the facilities at the RSL, depending on the situation. I am absolutely disgusted with this behavior.
Earlier this evening, we were just
leaving Walgett, when we were physically forced off the road by a local. No one is hurt badly, we are all just shocked and shaken up, but
that does absolutely not make the horrific incident okay or acceptable. We are
humans too, and if this happened to one of the white locals, everyone would definitely
have something to say about it. This is a disgrace towards everyone on this
bus. In saying that, there has been a positive
side to this incident. News coverage and social media has been bombarded with
reports about the incident. Maybe everyone will open there eyes, and see that
the racial outbreak occurring about Australia is not acceptable, nor fair.
We are now moving on to the town of Collarenebri.
I will keep you all updated.
References
Skwirk. Charles Perkins: Freedom
ride. (2015) http://www.skwirk.com/p-c_s-56_u-490_t-1335_c-5130/charles-perkins-freedom-rides/tas/charles-perkins-freedom-rides/australia-after-1945/an-era-of-protest
Weebly. Freedom Rides. (2011).
http://perkinsforfreedom.weebly.com/freedom-rides.html
Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Islander Studies. (2014). from http://aiatsis.gov.au/collections/collections-online/digitised-collections/freedom-ride/ann-curthoys-diaries
Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Islander Studies. (2014). from http://aiatsis.gov.au/collections/collections-online/digitised-collections/freedom-ride/ann-curthoys-diaries

Wow, that is so unfair, that you guys weren't aloud to gain access to the RSL! The indigenous soldiers were as good as the whites, and they are allowed to go into the RSL. How racist is that?
ReplyDeleteAnd I can't beileve someone would ram you off the road! What did we ever do to them?
(This is Daniel by the way)
DeleteI can't believe that people actually believe that Indigenous people don't deserve to be treated as humans. I am also on the freedom rides and last night whilst we were travelling out of walgett was also terrifying for me as well i was the closest window to the car and all i remember seeing is two bright headlights heading straight for us. I hope to hear from you in the future.
ReplyDeleteWhy is it that people think that just because Aboriginals are a different to us they should be treated differently. They are people just like us and should have the same rights. They put in more effort then any of us do but yet still get treated so badly.
ReplyDeleteWhat a terrifying experience. I am just glad no one was badly injured. I admire what you guys are doing and long to see changes in this beautiful country. I am following this blog closely and looking forward to how you create awareness amongst our nation to give equal rights to all people.
ReplyDelete